"Autocoding Reloaded" (was Re: Matrix - Metaphors, Analogies and the REAL

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Nov 10 18:06:33 EST 2003

3seas wrote:

> Peter Hansen wrote:
[Tim snipped everything I wrote and responded to none of it.]

> Actually the most up to date code is not teh archive but what you get by
> doing a wget on threeseas.net/vic/ excluding the .zip files.
> But then that might be what you did.

No, but thanks for the pointer.  I don't feel there's any point in my
investigating further at this time, however, as you've said nothing to
address my points -- which increases my confidence in the accuracy of my
analysis.

> The full VIC will be able to set in motion dynamic automations, from simple
> to complex of any number of automation types, from simple user defined
> automations to more complex code generation AND compiling And Excution of
> generated code.

That would be much fun to see... what is there at this point is so
far from being able to do anything resembling code generation or
compilation that I doubt anyone but you can imagine what it is all about.

> I have no doubt there have been and continue to be arguements against this
> or that part of the VIC but no where will you find the integrated
> configuration of all the parts in a manner that provides such versatility
> as the VIC will.

If we can't find it, maybe we just don't understand what we're looking for yet.
I believe I've got a decent understand, to the extent possible, of what you
imagine you are working on, and I believe I know of a variety of viable --
and usable! -- alternatives, such as Scons and A-A-P, or even just make in
all its primitive glory, possibly combined with a little Python code.

> Its not the objective to re-invent anything but rather to make the use and
> reuse of many things possible, including the dynamic reuse of code
> fragments to generate more complex code.

Sounds a little vague, and to the extent that I can understand the least
aspect of it, it sounds no different from what any decent build tool,
combined with a general-purpose language like Python, could do.

Anyway, my analysis stands.

-Peter