My first Python program.. Calculating pi geometrically.

Ron Adam radam2 at
Sat Nov 1 09:06:09 CET 2003

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 06:49:55 GMT, Ron Adam <radam2 at>

>Hi, I'm having fun learning Python and want to say thanks to everyone
>here for a great programming language.
>Below is my first Python program (not my first program) and I'd
>apreciate any feedback on how I might do things differently to make it
>either more consice, readable, or faster.  ie... are there better ways
>to do it in Python?
>It won't break any records for calculating pi,  that wasn't my goal,
>learning Python was. But it might be good for testing floating point
>and decimal performance.  It also might make a good demo of the same.
>Anyway, here it is, any feedback would be apreciated.

BTW,  I do know I can do this and get pi much much faster.

>>>import gmpy

That gives me over 300,000 decimal places in 2 to 3 minutes.

Which is very impressive.   :-)

Doing it geometrically was strictly a learning exercise.  And I did
learn quite a bit by doing it.