Rekall and associated software go 100% GPL

GrayGeek jkrepsBEAR at FISHneb.rr.com
Tue Nov 11 16:30:40 EST 2003

Jim wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:25:57 GMT, GrayGeek <jkrepsBEAR at FISHneb.rr.com>
> wrotf:
>
>>John Dean wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> It gives me great pleasure to inform you that Rekall, the cross-platform
>>> alternative to MS Access, is now totally GPL. So please visit
>>> http://www.totalrekall.co.uk and download download a copy for yourself.
>>> In order for you to be able to download you must register with the Total
>>> Rekall Portal. The reason we have have made this a requirement is
>>> because we would like to be able to notify everybody when a new version
>>> becomes available. We are presently working on V2.2.0 and I am sure you
>>> would not like to miss out.
>>>
>>> You should also be aware that in order for for us to continue the future
>>> development of Rekall we will have to charge for technical support,
>>> customisation, training and consulting, therefore, now that we have gone
>>> wholly GPL, you will have to take out a technical support subscription.
>>> I will post information relating to support levels and pricing once we
>>> worked out the detail. In the meantime may I suggest that you sign up to
>>> our mailing list. Instructions can be found at the bottom of the home
>>> page.
>>>

>>mmm, either the registration process is overloaded, or it is not
>>functioning.  After registering I failed to receive the confirmatory
>>email. (Yes, my data was correct).
>>Anyone else notice this?
>>I see that all the previous msgs are on the 9th, but none after that.
>
> All I got was a demo version after registering. Also, there are some dead
> links on their page I reported that haven't been fixed. Something isn't
> right here.

It apparently is getting worse.  The original site containing the links to
download the 'GPL' software disconnected from me in the middle of trying to
download Rekall for Mandrake 9.1 after I had registered.  When I attempted
to reconnect to http://www.totalrekall.co.uk  I was redirected to
http://www.rekall.a-i-s.co.uk/ which is totally devoid of download links.
If I were to hazard a guess it would be that theKompany has shut Dean down.
???
Before the new redirect was established I was getting a "can't connect to
".....theKompany.comrelease".  The theKompany URL to rygannon.com gave:
"An error occured while loading http://www.rygannon.com:
Unknown host www.rekall.a-i-s.co.ukindex.php"

So the battle must be raging on... ???

--