Python's simplicity philosophy

Douglas Alan nessus at mit.edu
Wed Nov 26 17:55:29 EST 2003

Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it> writes:

>> That would have a larger big O time growth value -- most likely
>> O(n * log n) vs. O(n), for reasonable implemenations.  And while I

> If the sequence is carefully randomized, yes.  If the sequence has
> any semblance of pre-existing order, the timsort is amazingly good
> at exploiting it, so that in many real-world cases it DOES run as
> O(N).

C'mon -- to make robust programs you have to assume the worst-case
scenario for your data, not the best case.  I certainly don't want to
write a program that runs quickly most of the time and then for opaque
reasons slows to a crawl occasionally.  I want it to either run
quickly all of the time or run really slowly all of the time (so that
I can then figure out what is wrong and fix it).

>> wouldn't sweat a factor of 2 for a feature of a RAD or scripting
>> language, I would be more concerned about moving to a larger big O
>> value.

> Me too!  That's why I'd like to make SURE that some benighted soul
> cannot code:

>     onebigstring = reduce(str.__add__, lotsofstrings)

The idea of aiming a language at trying to prevent people from doing
stupid things is just innane, if you ask me.  It's not just inane,
it's offensive to my concept of human ability and creativity.  Let
people make their mistakes, and then let them learn from them.  Make a
programming language to be a fluid and natural medium for expressing
their concepts, not a straight-jacket for citing canon in the
orthodox manner.

Furthermore, by your argument, we have to get rid of loops, since
an obvious way of appending strings is:

  result = ""
  for s in strings: result += s

>> Your proposed extension to max() and min() has all the same problems.

> Not at all.  Maybe you have totally misunderstood "my proposed
> extension"?

You are correct, sorry -- I misunderstood your proposed extension.
But max() and min() still have all the same problems as reduce(), and
so does sum(), since the programmer can provide his own comparison
and addition operations in a user-defined class, and therefore, he can
make precisely the same mistakes and abuses with sum(), min(), and
max() that he can with reduce().

>> But reasonable programmers don't abuse this generality, and so there

> So, you're claiming that ALL people who were defending 'reduce' by
> posting use cases which DID "abuse this generality" are
> unreasonable?

In this small regard, at least, yes.  So, here reduce() has granted
them the opportunity to learn from their mistakes and become better
programmers.

>> this urge to be stiffled.  Don't take my word for it -- ask Paul
>> Graham.  I believe he was even invited to give the Keynote Address at
>> a recent PyCon.

> However, if you agree with Paul Graham's theories on language
> design, you should be consistent, and use Lisp.

I don't agree with *everything* that anyone says.  But if there were a
version of Lisp that were as tuned for scripting as Python is, as
portable as Python is, came with as many batteries installed, and had
anywhere near as large a user-base, I probably *would* be using Lisp.
But there isn't, so I don't.

And Python suits me fine.  But if it continues to be bloated with a
large number special-purpose features, rather than a small number of
general and expressive features, there may come a time when Python
will no longer suit me.

> If you consider Python to be preferable, then there must be some
> point on which you disagree with him.  In my case, I would put
> "simplicity vs generality" issues as the crux of my own
> disagreements with Dr. Graham.

Bloating the language with lots of special-purpose features does not
match my idea of simplicity.  To the extent that I have succeeded in
this world, it has always been by understanding how to simplify things
by moving to a more general model, meaning that I have to memorize and
understand less.  Memorizing lots of detail is not something I am
particurly good at, and is one of the reasons why I dislike Perl so
much.  Who can remember all that stuff in Perl?  Certainly not I.  I
suppose some people can, but this is why *I* prefer Python -- there is
much less to remember.

Apparently you would have it so that for every common task you might
want to do there is one "right" way to do it that you have to
remember, and the language is packed to the brim with special features
to support each of these common tasks.  That's not simple!  That's a
nightmare of memorizing special cases, and if that were the future of
Python, then that future would be little better than Perl.

>> Just what is it that I don't grasp again?  I think my position is
>> clear: I have no intention to abuse reduce(), so I don't worry myself
>> with ways in which I might be tempted to.

> Yet you want reduce to keep accepting ANY callable that takes two
> arguments as its first argument, differently from APL's / (which does
> NOT accept arbitrary functions on its left);

That's because I believe that there should be little distinction
between features built into the language and the features that users
can add to it themselves.  This is one of the primary benefits of
object-oriented languages -- they allow the user to add new data types
that are as facile to use as the built-in data types.

> and you claimed that reduce could be removed if add, mul, etc, would
> accept arbitrary numbers of arguments.  This set of stances is not
> self-consistent.

Either solution is fine with me.  I just don't think that addition
should be placed on a pedestal above other operations. This means that
you have to remember that addition is different from all the other
operations, and then when you want to multiply a bunch of numbers
together, or xor them together, for example, you use a different
idiom, and if you haven't remembered that addition has been placed on
this pedestal, you become frustrated when you can't find the
equivalent of sum() for multiplication or xor in the manual.

>> So, now you *do* want multiple obviously right ways to do the same
>> thing?

> sum(sequence) is the obviously right way to sum the numbers that are
> the items of sequence.  If that maps to add.reduce(sequence), no problem;
> nobody in their right mind would claim the latter as "the one obvious
> way", exactly because it IS quite un-obvious.

It's quite obvious to me.  As is a loop.

> The point is that the primary meaning of "reduce" is "diminish", and
> when you're summing (positive:-) numbers you are not diminishing
> anything whatsoever

Of course you are: You are reducing a bunch of numbers down to one
number.

>> "summary" or "gist" in addition to addition.  It also can be confusing
>> by appearing to be just a synonym for "add".  Now people might have
>> trouble remember what the difference between sum() and add() is.

> Got any relevant experience teaching Python?  I have plenty and I
> have never met ANY case of the "trouble" you mention.

Yes, I taught a seminar on Python, and I didn't feel it necessary to
teach either sum() or reduce().  I taught loops, and I feel confident
that by the time a student is ready for sum(), they are ready for
reduce().

>> In Computer Science, however, "reduce" typically only has one meaning
>> when provided as a function in a language, and programmers might as
>> well learn that sooner than later.
>
> I think you're wrong.  "reduce dimensionality of a multi-dimensional
> array by 1 by operating along one axis" is one such meaning, but there
> are many others.  For example, the second Google hit for "reduce
> function" gives me:

> http://www.gits.nl/dg/node65.html

That's a specialized meaning of "reduce" in a specific application
domain, not a function in a general-purpose programming.

> where 'reduce' applies to rewriting for multi-dot grammars, and
> the 5th hit is

> http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/stg/NOTES/node31.html

> which uses a much more complicated generalization:

It still means the same thing that reduce() typically means. They've
just generalized it further.  Some language might generalize sum()
further than you have in Python. That wouldn't mean that it still
didn't mean the same thing.

> while http://csdl.computer.org/comp/trans/tp/1993/04/i0364abs.htm
> deals with "the derivation of general methods for the L/sub 2/
> approximation of signals by polynomial splines" and defines REDUCE
> as "prefilter and down-sampler" (which is exactly as I might expect
> it to be defined in any language dealing mostly with signal
> processing, of course).

Again a specialized domain.

> Designing an over-general approach, and "fixing it in the docs" by
> telling people not to use 90% of the generality they so obviously
> get, is not a fully satisfactory solution.  Add in the caveats about
> not using reduce(str.__add__, manystrings), etc, and any reasonable
> observer would agree that reduce had better be redesigned.

You have to educate people not to do stupid things with loop and sum
too.  I can't see this as much of an argument.

> Again, I commend APL's approach, also seen with more generality in
> Numeric (in APL you're stuck with the existing operator on the left
> of + -- in Numeric you can, in theory, write your own ufuncs), as
> saner.  While not quite as advisable, allowing callables such as
> operator.add to take multiple arguments would afford a similarly
> _correctly-limited generality_ effect.  reduce + a zillion warnings
> about not using most of its potential is just an unsatisfactory
> combination.

You hardly need a zillion warnings.  A couple examples will suffice.