New to Python - Compiled Language?

Relee Squirrel relee_s at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 4 18:34:26 EST 2003

--- In python-list at yahoogroups.com, keflimarcusx at a... (KefX) wrote:
> >The impression I get from www.python.org is that it is a compiled
> >very high level language, which is extendable via C++. I'm a C++
> >programmer and the tools and utilities referred to existing in
Python
> >would increase the development time of my projects. However, what
I'm
> >creating are programs, not just scripts.
> >
> >Is Python a language which can be compiled into an executable
program?

> Well, Python isn't a compiled language in the sense of native code
compilation
> (that is, making an EXE on Win32, or a normal binary executable on
Unix, etc.),
> though there is a tool called py2exe that you may want to look into
in order to
> bundle your program into an executable on Win32.
> (http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/py2exe/)

I think that would be very useful, thank you. :)

When I say compiled language, I do mean a language like C++ which is
transformed into machine code by a compiler.

I was under the impression that Python had no such compiler, and that
the end user of my programs would be required to install the Python
Interpreter. Is that true in most cases?

> The best advice I can give is just give it a shot. Write something
small but
> nontrivial and see how it works for you. Any more questions?

I'm a video game programmer and the applications I'm hoping to use
Python for are the games themselves as well as the utilities used in
making the games, such as level editors.

There are several programming concepts which I haven't studied in
depth which I read Python can handle easily, such as handling the
Windows GUI, using and even creating internet transfer protocols, and
compressing and decompressing files.

Also, can Python support Linked Lists? I believe someone said in one
of the other emails that Python doesn't support pointers.

Thanks for your assistance!