sockets, select or: twisted and other file-descriptors

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sat Nov 29 17:40:24 EST 2003

"Diez B. Roggisch" wrote:

> I now want to rewrite it using select and no more threads. If it was only a
> network-application, I'd try to make my first steps using twisted. However,
> I'm not sure if its possible to have twisteds select also take my
> filedescriptors for the serial connection.

Twisted has some (or full?) support for serial ports, so you should
investigate it more closely to see just what it does and whether that
would work for your own application.

A download is free, and you can browse the source pretty easily to
get the gist of it.  I suspect you'll see right away that it is or
is not suitable.

(Of course, someone else might be able to say "yeah, it works" or something
already, but there's no real substitute for just checking for yourself.)

-Peter