LAID (was: python libs v lisp coolness?

Andreas Rottmann a.rottmann at gmx.at
Wed Nov 12 18:00:03 EST 2003

mike420 at ziplip.com writes:

[ sorry for cross-posting, but I really think this is relevant on all
  newsgroups posted ]

> Joe Marshall <prunesquallor at comcast.net> wrote
> in <he1qryba.fsf at comcast.net>:
>
>> Kenny Tilton <ktilton at nyc.rr.com> writes:
>>
>>> I don't know.  Maybe I'm wrong. If Lisp is such a great language and
>>> people love it so much, how come they don't write any code?

[...]

> Lispers need to cooperate with others on libraries. Maybe a Consortium of
> Underdog Dynamically-Typed Languages needs to be started. Underdog
> languages are more interested in libraries and cooperation.
>
> For each library, a language-agnostic interface description (in
> LAID language, of course) should be generated by porters, so that
> later FFIs could be produced for each language automatically. This
> is the opposite (and complementary to) SWIG: SWIG auto-generates dumb
> interface information and needs a lot of human post-work for each
> specific language.
>
> "Are you guys having trouble with that GTK lib? - No, we got LAID!"

*g*

Actually, h2def.py does something like produce LAID (called defs
there). You basically scan the headers and adapt the resulting defs
(which are, bu coinicence, lisp/scheme data). It's used by the
guile-gobject GTK+2 bindings and the puthon GTK+2 bindings. We just
need some infrastructure/framework for cooperating on improving this
stuff and documenting the defs data format.

Regards, Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | Rotty at ICQ      | 118634484 at ICQ | a.rottmann at gmx.at
http://www.8ung.at/rotty | GnuPG Key: http://www.8ung.at/rotty/gpg.asc