Best method for an NT service and python to interact?

Charlie Orford usenetBLOCK at myrealbox.com
Thu Nov 20 22:35:07 EST 2003

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 21:45:14 -0500, Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> fought
his way into comp.lang.python, paused briefly and let forth upon the
unsuspecting patrons the following literary masterpiece:

<snip>

>My first thought would be to send a UDP packet to localhost from the
>NT service whenever the event of interest happens.  That's assuming
>that it's meaningful to the service that this is happening... if the
>service is more generic, maybe send UDP whenever any file is accessed.
>
>The client, when running, simply listens for those packets on a
>predetermined port.  If you aren't doing the file-type filtering in
>the service, the client does it and the NT service can stay very
>simple and generic which, since it's C code, is probably best.
>
>-Peter

Thanks Peter. I am so clowded with Win32 programming that all I think about
is window messaging. Setting up a simple UDP server is a great idea and I
think I will go down this route.

Many Thanks,
--
Charlie