Buffer restriction in dom.minidom?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Fri Nov 28 06:14:08 EST 2003

Oliver Walczak wrote:

> In one of my projects i use dom.minidom as XML parser. I recently had a
> problem when the value of a text node as a child of an element node was
> larger than 1024 characters. It created 2 or more child nodes out of it so i
> had to concatenate both items again manually. On another machine it only
> created one child node out of the text node as i further expected although
> both are running Python 2.2.3 on WinXP.
> Does anyone know whats going on there?

the parser may chose to split CDATA over multiple Text nodes:

    http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/dom-text-objects.html

    "A single CDATA section may be represented by more than one
    node in the document tree."

if this matters to your program, use "normalize" before accessing the
contents:

    http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/dom-node-objects.html

(using normalize is a good idea even if you're using a normalizing parser;
it prevents nasty surprises the day you or someone else wants to use
your code on a DOM tree created by some other part of your program...)

</F>