Tkinter, wxPython, PyGtk, or PyQt...

carljohan.rehn at chello.se carljohan.rehn at chello.se
Sun Oct 12 12:31:55 EDT 2003

I would like like to start doing some GUI-programming in Python, but don't
know which library to choose.

Tkinter seems a bit old. Correct me if I am wrong! The layout doesn't look
as nice as for the others.

wxPython seems to be the first-hand choice for people doing W32-programming
(with MFC-experience).

PyGtk seems to be a modern, very clean and nice approach, but with poor
W32-support. Is PyGtk a mature library with respect to version stability
and documentation.

PyQt is a huge library (thanks to Qt), but not free on W32, or?

Is there any possibility that any of the above-mentioned libraries will be
included as a standard library in any of the near-future Python
distributions?

I myself program on W32 at work, but use Linux at home. So, which one should
I start with in order to reduce the effort of learning something new and to
be productive in the shortest time possible?

By the way, how do I most easily include plotting capabilities to my
Python-apps?

Carl