prePEP: Money data type

Paul Rubin http
Sat Oct 18 09:38:06 EDT 2003

Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it> writes:
> > 1. I've seen lots of strange rounding policies in various nooks
> > and crannies. Is there any way of specifying a rounding policy
> > that would be used and inherited by the result money object?
>
> Amen, Hallelujah.  I've followed up to Batista's similar post to
> python-dev by pointing out chapter and verse of EU regulations that
> _mandate_ "rounding to nearest and always round exactly-halfway
> UPWARDS", for example.

Are you serious about this?  I thought financial computations with
decimal arithmetic had been done in Cobol since the 1950's.  They
haven't gotten this stuff figured out by now?  Can you crunch some
calculation through a Cobol program and get an answer thtat's correct
in the US and wrong in the EU?