[OT] Knuth's rewards [Was: Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme]

Jacek Generowicz jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
Fri Oct 17 06:39:09 EDT 2003

mertz at gnosis.cx (David Mertz) writes:

> Jacek Generowicz <jacek.generowicz at cern.ch> wrote previously:
> |> Could you afford to pay $327.68 for every bug found in your glorious
> |> software?
> |Anyone know how Knuth arrives at the amounts he offers ?
> |(He also offers $2.56 for errors in his books.)
>
> Surely you recognize powers of two? :-).

Yes, but not, apparently, if you add a little noise, such as a "." (as
I already mentioned elsewhere).

> Apparently, so far 8 errors have been found in AoCP, and 15 in TeX....

What?  It can't be ... he can't be _that_ confident?  That's
insane. Well, I guess that he's under no obligation to keep it up,
should things get out of hand.

(I was thinking that he maybe doubles it after a year in which no bugs
were found, and maybe halves it when one is found ... or similar)

Does he state anywhere what his policy is ?

How do we persuade Microsoft to adopt the same strategy ?