best GUI toolkit for python: tkinter, wxPython or what?

Tim Ronning tim.ronning at start.no
Thu Oct 30 15:03:56 EST 2003

>> for somebody who wants tostart small/medium GUI apps with python:
>> what's the best toolkit: tkinter, wxPython or what? stability, ease of
>> use
>> and portability between mac and windows are the main criteria.
> Portability is fine with all the main xplatform toolkits afaik, so NP
> there.
> In terms of ease of use and stability it's hard to beat tkinter, which
> is barely changed since YEARS (can't get much stabler than that) -- and
> quite easy for elementary tasks, too.
> If you'd asked for looks, speed, screenpainters & suchlike tools, or
> functional richness (particularly in terms of variety of widgets), the
> answer might be different (and Qt, wx or GTK might then be preferred).
>
> Alex

I myself is a novice in this game. But I couldn't help myself, so in
paralell with learning the basics I fetched the Eric IDE, PyQt wrapper and
the latest QT. Within minutes I was actually generateing really nice UI's.
And the best thing of all, just compile your forms from within ERIC and,
voila you have a python script including all the QT stuff. This is RAD.

Best regards

Tim Ronning