User comments on python.org

Mike Rovner mike at nospam.com
Mon Oct 13 16:26:59 EDT 2003

Skip Montanaro wrote:
>     amk> 1) Fitting the comments into the page design -- a page with
>     a lot amk>    of comments would be really, really lengthy.
>
> I would prefer to see a little icon next to paragraphs with comments.
> That minimizes the change in length.  Click 'em to pop up a window
> (or something) with the relevant comments.

Given that we start with wiki comments, I'd prefer to have page coments
rather than
paragraph comments. Something like DocumentationComments/ref/imaginary
for doc/current/ref/imaginary.html with page autocreation feature for new
comments
(with just back reference to the doc page and short invitation).

>     amk> 2) What if people post obscenities or harmful material?
> pages, or at least to the RecentChanges page, so they are alerted
> quickly to changes. Juergen, Guido and I have all reverted Wiki
> changes.

Wiki is being maintained, it's easy to undo changes, sofar this was not a
problem.

> I'd be against anything which actually modified the content of a page
> as a result of adding a comment, if for no other reason than it would
> have to integrate with ht2html+CVS, at least for the forseeable
> future.

I second that. Wiki is too volatile, let's doc maintainer to incorporate
(valuable) wiki content into the real doc page (and update/remove wiki
comments ;))

Mike