Why don't people like lisp?

Wade Humeniuk whumeniu at nospamtelus.net
Tue Oct 14 16:39:33 EDT 2003

Terry Reedy wrote:

> My contemporaneous impression, correct or not, as formed from
> miscellaneous mentions in the computer press and computer shows, was
> that they were expensive, slow, and limited -- limited in the sense of
> being specialized to running Lisp, rather than any language I might
> want to use.  I can understand that a dedicated Lisper would not
> consider Lisp-only to be a real limitation, but for the rest of us...

Well its not true.  Symbolics for one supported additional languages,
and I am sure others have pointed out that are C compilers for
the Lisp Machines.

See

http://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~moeller/symbolics-info/symbolics-tech-summary.html

Section: Other Languages

It says that Prolog, Fortran and Pascal were available.

Wade