Python/Wx dot net

HankC hankc at nospam.com
Mon Oct 6 11:50:47 EDT 2003

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 00:45:17 -0700, "Carl Waldbieser"
<waldbie at attglobal.net> wrote:

>To me, it seems like it would be a very extreme position for Microsoft to
>disallow native code on their future operating systems.  I find myself
>asking, "what would be the point?"  If someone wanted to write a program
>that they couldn't write using managed code, they couldn't use Windows.  Why
>would you want to shut out a potential customer?  Also, not all the tools
>Microsoft is putting out focus entirely on managed code.  The Visual C++
>tools seem (at least to me) to have been designed with an emphasis on
>integrating native and managed code for mixed projects.

Carl, thanks for your comments - they're actually a little reassuring.
Not really to argue, but just to comment on the points above:

extreme position - yes indeed, but I can see it happening if it would
increase the control/power of MS.

the point? - Well, two quick ones: 1) controlling a framework that is
written to by a huge number of developers gives them a huge amount of
power; 2) if Windows runs managed code only the security of the
platform would increase substantially.

they couldn't use Windows -  I think as .net matures there will be
very few apps that won't be capable of running as managed code.
Drivers and other low level stuff may be excepted with an MS
certification or something.

integration - Yeah, but it's still early, you would have to expect
integration at this point.  I also understand that there will be no
thunking layer to run 32 bit native code from 64 bit managed code so
writing to Win64 will require either a 64bit compiler or managed code
exclusively.

I know some of those points are a little far fetched - I'm just
feeling a little bleak about the future lately :-)