Need Psyco profiling help...

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Sun Oct 26 14:05:18 EST 2003

KefX wrote:
> Hotshot. Well, Hotshot and Psyco don't work well together, I found out.

You seem not to have thought about running Hotshot only (without Psyco)
to find out where your code spends most of its time.  Psyco not only
isn't happy with Hotshot, but whatever results Hotshot could get are
wrong because it doesn't know about machine-code-compiled functions.

Also note that if the Python code has no long loop, e.g. if it is only
functions that are repeatedly called by C/C++ code (with the loop in
C/C++), then Psyco won't help at all, it will probably even slow things
down.  It can only accelerate functions that run for some time (I mean,
doing at least 100 or 1000 iterations to fill some array should be ok,
but if C/C++ calls your function 100 or 1000 times to fill the same
array it is not).

A bientot,

Armin.