Microsoft Access read from linux python

Mark Roach mrroach at okmaybe.com
Thu Oct 30 14:27:06 EST 2003

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 11:10:43 +0100, David ROBERT wrote:

> I need to read data from a MS Access database.
> The program (reader) is installed on a linux box and
> is written in python langage.
> The database is MS Access 2002 installed on a Win XP box
> networked with the linux box.

> Is it possible for python/linux to read data from MS Access
> Database ?

mdbtools: http://mdbtools.sourceforge.net/ provides a unixODBC
driver for MS access databases. Install it and mxODBC, then you
should be able to create a DSN for the access db, and connect to
it using mxODBC

> I've read a lot of things about mxODBC, iODBC and so on,
> but I'm still very confused, It looks like it is _not_

What exactly are you confused about? Perhaps someone can help
answer some specific questions...

-Mark