Python 2.3.2 Compile problems on Solaris 7.

Jeremy Fincher tweedgeezer at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 10 13:15:34 EDT 2003

I'm having problems compiling Python with socket support (and support
for several other libraries) on Solaris 7.

When I do the standard ./configure, make, make install dance, I got a
fully compiled Python without an _socket module.

So I uncommented the appropriate socketmodule.c line in Modules/Setup,
and recompiled.

I get this:

gcc -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -I.
-I./Include  -DPy_BUILD_CORE  -c ./Modules/socketmodule.c -o
Modules/socketmodule.oIn file included from
Modules/socketmodule.c:293:
Modules/getnameinfo.c: In function `fake_getnameinfo':
Modules/getnameinfo.c:173: warning: implicit declaration of function
`inet_ntop'Modules/getnameinfo.c:174: warning: comparison between
pointer and integer
Modules/getnameinfo.c:206: warning: comparison between pointer and
integer
Modules/socketmodule.c: In function `socket_inet_pton':
Modules/socketmodule.c:2972: error: `AF_INET6' undeclared (first use
in this function)Modules/socketmodule.c:2972: error: (Each undeclared
identifier is reported only onceModules/socketmodule.c:2972: error:
for each function it appears in.)
Modules/socketmodule.c: In function `socket_inet_ntop':
Modules/socketmodule.c:3016: error: `INET_ADDRSTRLEN' undeclared
(first use in this function)Modules/socketmodule.c:3046: warning:
assignment makes pointer from integer without a
castModules/socketmodule.c:3016: warning: unused variable `ip'
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `Modules/socketmodule.o'

I even tried copying the socketmodule.c from the 2.3b1 source code
(which we had been using until now, which supported sockets on our
machine) and recompiling to no avail.

That's the major problem I'm having and need to solve.

Aside from that, I'm also getting hundreds of errors like this:

<unknown>                           0x1c60
/usr/common/lib/libncurses.a(lib_tparm.o)

with several libraries, including curses and ssl.

This is the first real compilation error I've ever had with Python,
and I don't know what to do from here.  Any help is appreciated :)

Thanks,
Jeremy