rpath in setup.py?

Tore Ferner torfer at pvv.org
Thu Oct 2 09:03:30 EDT 2003

Hi,

On linux:

I'm a newbie and want to make build-versions of python 2.1.3 and
it's modules which link against different versions of a library
located in directories not mentioned in /etc/ld.so.conf, e.g.
versions of expat could be:

  /opt/expatx
  /opt/expaty
  /opt/expatz

How do I make python use -rpath against such directories, for
example by changing setup.py? So far I've made setup.py detect
my expat.h in /opt/expat/include, but when I use ldd on
pyexpat.so, the libexpat located in /usr/lib is used instead of
/opt/expatx/lib.

I have tried to use flags like LDFLAGS="-Wl,--rpath
-Wl,/opt/expatx/lib" and similar things during ./configure and
make, but without luck. I am confused...

I use Debian "stable" with gcc/g++ 3.3 and GNU ld 2.11.90.0.8
from "testing".

Any help/links will be greatly appreciated!!

Regards, Tore