Python for Asset Management!

achrist at easystreet.com achrist at easystreet.com
Fri Oct 17 22:35:07 EDT 2003

Emile van Sebille wrote:

> I don't agree with your "... and thus..." conclusion.  Python with Numeric
> and the gui kit that matches your taste is easily up to this task.
>
> For comparison, I've written a python+zope based application that juggles
> sales data and provides sub-15 second response time recapping 1M+ records of
> ~180cols.  Sub-selections from any combination of 20 parameters speed things
> up further.

I didn't say it couldn't be done, but I sure didn't want to lose any
sleep figuring out how to do it.  This project was done 3 years ago,
we were selling into a market with many slow and old computers about,
and we were dealing with people who like paper, so we wanted to create
pretty reports way up around 1000 pages without any major delay.

Maybe next time we'll do something like this in Python.

Al