use make and version control system for every project?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sun Oct 5 22:14:53 EDT 2003

AK wrote:

> Hi, I recently read an advice here that one should try to use make and
> version control system even if you're the only one working on the
> program. Is that a good advice? How many of you do that?

I don't use make with Python, but I use it with anything
compiled, as with embedded development.

I *always* use CVS at this point, and I deeply regret the years that
I spent not using it and the many varied ways in which I made negative
progress because of that (lost files, incompatibilities that could not
be resolved between various versions of things, inability to identify
exactly when and why a given thing was done, etc).

I _strongly_ recommend learning to use CVS, or *any equally simple
version control system*, even for personal projects, so that it becomes
second nature early on and you never find yourself without it.

-Peter