Python from Wise Guy's Viewpoint

Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 22 15:34:40 EDT 2003

Pascal Costanza:
> ...because static type systems work by reducing the expressive power of
> a language. It can't be any different for a strict static type system.
> You can't solve the halting problem in a general-purpose language.
>
> This means that eventually you might need to work around language
> restrictions, and this introduces new potential sources for bugs.

Given what I know of embedded systems, I can effectively
guarantee you that all the code on the rocket was proven
to halt in not only a finite amount of time but a fixed amount of
time.

So while what you say may be true for a general purpose
language, that appeal to the halting problem doesn't apply given
a hard real time constraint.

                    Andrew
                    dalke at dalkescientific.com