Book Recommendation

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Oct 9 14:13:54 EDT 2003

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 12:32:01 GMT, Anthony
<sysfault at secureb0x.net> wrote:
> replies, and honesty. I can't believe my core python programming book is
> outdated my mom just purchased it. please tell me it's still readable

Its a very good introductory text. It is outdated in that the
version it uses is now out of date but 95% (at least) is still
perfectly valid and 99% will work as is, there just might be
better more recent ways.

Python develops at a fairly rapid rate so that any book will go
out of date quickly. My own book started using 1.5.1, finished
using 1.5.2 but the current version by the time of release was
2.0 (which I put on the CD). You just can't keep up with the
changes and write a good book too (IMHO).

If you like the style of Core Python stick with it, its as good
as any other. Then read the online tutor which gets updated with
each language version so you can pick up whats changed.

If you don;t like the style then the other suggestions are all
valid too.

Alan G.
Author of the Learn to Program website