Python from Wise Guy's Viewpoint

Matthias Blume find at my.address.elsewhere
Wed Oct 29 09:12:05 EST 2003

Matthew Danish <mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> Declarations can take this further, such that a compiler as smart as
> CMUCL can manipulate raw (unsigned-byte 32) values, for example.

Oh, so you're saying you want static declarations, checked and
enforced by the compiler?  Hmm, I've read this point of view in this
thread somewhere.

> Are the vast majority of your programs the type which behave properly
> within machine-word integers?

> > idea that the only correct result of 20 * 30 has to be 600.)
>
> (20 * 30) mod 256 is, of course, a completely different expression.

Undoubtedly, it is a different expression.  But it might mean the
same, given a correspondingly chosen domain for 20 and 30, together
with an certain * operation.

Matthias