Python 2.3.2 RPM's for Redhat 8.0 or Python source RPM and upgradeprocedure?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Oct 3 15:49:59 EDT 2003

Skip Montanaro wrote:

>     Scott> Does anynone have these available?  I'd like to upgrade (hoping
>     Scott> it doesn't break my Redhat install).
>
> Sean Reifschneider builts them as a service to the community.  I suspect it
> will be a few days to a week before he releases 2.3.2 RPMs.
>
>     Scott> If I upgrade, all my site-packages have to be reinstalled to the
>     Scott> new site-packages directory right?
>
> No, the installation will go to (I think) /usr/local/lib/python2.3 or
> /usr/lib/python2.3.  The site-packages directory will thus remain the same.

Unless the OP is upgrading from a pre-2.3 version of Python.  I don't think
he says enough to know for sure, but I think we can infer from his comment
about breaking the Redhat install that he is talking about upgrading from
Python 2.2, not 2.3.x.

Sean, I believe you *would* have to copy over the site-packages contents
from the 2.2 installation to the 2.3 folder, but don't count on everything
working... only pure Python code will generally continue to work without
a new download and install of a 2.3-compatible version of your extension.

-Peter