Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Oct 16 10:47:32 EDT 2003

> Ultimately, all these Python v Lisp arguments boil down to the
> differing philosophies:

Agreed so far...

> Python:
> - Keep it simple

Simple can be powerful ;-)

> - Guido knows what's best for me

Hogwash.  I don't believe that, and neither does Guido.

> Lisp:
> - Provide as much power to the programmer as possible, out of the
box

Vroom, vroom, maybe I should take it out for a spin .... at the local
racetrack.

> - I know what's best for me, and I want a language that allows me to
>   invest effort in making difficult things easy for me

This I agree with, and it is why I currently choose Python.

Presenting the choice as 'toady language' versus 'real man language'
is rather biased.

Terry J. Reedy