Python is Considered Harmful

Stefan Axelsson sax at dhcp226-160.cs.chalmers.se
Wed Oct 29 06:21:59 EST 2003

In article <yjvnb.367268$R32.12107331 at news2.tin.it>, Alex Martelli wrote:

> Actually, I did work in Forth (it was the in-ROM language of a
> neat computer I once bought, called "Jupiter ACE"; and also of a
> special-purpose image processing PC card I once used at work),
> but never came across that "feature" (assuming those dialects of
> Forth in those ROMs supported it, that is).  Guess I was lucky
> that in those special cases I wasn't sharing code w/others:-).

Well the Jupiter ACE (of which I'm still a proud owner) suppored it,
it's in  the '79 standard after all.  E.g. just do '16 base !', for
hexadecimal input for example.  Makes writing an assembler in Forth,
or the usual combination of Forth and assembly simpler if nothing else.

As everything Forth, judicious use is key.

Stefan,
--
Stefan Axelsson                  (email at http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~sax)