Can we use emPy, ReST, and/or YAML for report generation

Jegenye 2001 Bt jegenye2001 at fw.hu
Thu Oct 16 14:22:23 EDT 2003

It's not quite clear what report you mean..
If you want to make PDFs with Python then reportlab is fine. The steep
learning curve could be flattened a bit by using their RXML solution, i.e.
an XML layout.
This does cost money.

Also, one can generate nice reports with LaTeX and the learning curve is not
that steep. Postscript (latex -> dvi -> ps) and HTML (latex2html or ht) come
easily.
PS can be converted into PDF with ps2pdf but you can make PDFs with pdflatex
directly as well. (it's a better option)

Or use some other mark-up tools: LinuxBook, DocBook, lout, etc.   (wouldn't
recommend groff or troff.. <wink>)
These are all multi-output formats, so you can directly get "final output"
formats like HTML, PS or PDF.
Or use something like the Python-based "AsciiDoc" ( converts an AsciiDoc
text file to DocBook, HTML or LinuxDoc ) or reST, etc.

You can use, say, emPy, of course, to generate the input to any of the
above. And there are other templating engines if you want something else.

Or... there are miriads of choices out there.

Have a nice digging. :)
Miklós

--
Prisznyák  Miklós