getting MS Access table relationships with pythonWin?

Cy Edmunds cedmunds at spamless.rochester.rr.com
Tue Oct 28 23:30:43 EST 2003

"cvchen" <member46064 at dbforums.com> wrote in message
news:3533440.1067377226 at dbforums.com...

> Hello,
>
>     I'm implementing a data dictionary (catalogging system) that can be
>     searched in several ways. I finished the first version without using
>     any databases, I just had pickled dictionaries to store the data and
>     I unpickled files as necessary to get at search results, that worked
>     just fine for me.
>
>     Problem is, my boss wants me to integrate the data into MS Access
>     because my project will eventually become part of a larger project.
>     So, I've got all my data in Access tables and have them linked
>     through relationships; I've found a way to access data from Access
>     .mdb files at this page: http://www.e-coli.net/pyado.html.
>
>     However, there were no lessons included on how to get to the
>     relationally linked tables of a certain recordset; googling and
>     yahooing around hasn't turned up any good leads. Is anyone here
>     knowledgeable about this? I need to get to the relationally linked
>     tables because search queries would then move along alot faster than
>     simple brute force search and sort techniques. If I've been unclear
>     in anyway, please let me know. Thanks!
>

> -Calvin
>

> --

You can get the "relational" part of relational databases by just using
"inner join" in SQL. As I understand it, the primary function of
relationships that you can define in Access is to simplify the process of
constructing queries. The meaning of the resulting SQL is not dependent on
these relationships. Take a look at the SQL Access produces to see what is
going on. However, a word of caution: the "SQL" Access produces isn't
standard (# delimiter for dates, " delimiter for strings, etc.)

--
Cy
http://home.rochester.rr.com/cyhome/