Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme

Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 9 17:01:49 EDT 2003

Pascal Costanza:
> Here [are some studies on using Scheme to teach programming]:
> http://home.adelphi.edu/sbloch/class/hs/testimonials/

Actually, those are testimonials, not studies.  For real studies,
look at some of the Smalltalk and especially Papert's work with
Logo.

The problem with testimonials is they are submitted by the people
who liked the language.  Eg, you don't see testimonials for a diet
loss plan which go "I used this plan and I gained 30 pounds in
only two weeks -- I loved it!"

One of my house mates in grad school learned Scheme at CMU
and related how much he didn't like the language.  You don't see
his testimonial on this site because he didn't dislike it intensely
enough to write an essay and convince some pro-Scheme site
to host it.

                    Andrew
                    dalke at dalkescientific.com