print is not a function

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Wed Oct 8 06:44:33 EDT 2003

Karl Scalet wrote:

> I came across this, but this requires an extra import sys
> which not always is there, thanks anyhow.

Ah, hadn't seen this before I answered your other post.

Well. duplicating the print statement functionality in
a *built-in* function to let you abuse a list comprehemsion
for the side effects and throw away the results just ain't
gonna happen.  Built-in functions are (or should be: there
may well be purges in Python 3.0) just for tasks so important
and widespread that an 'import' cannot be considered.

Alex