General Numerical Python question

Fernando Perez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 16 17:13:21 EDT 2003

John J. Lee wrote:

> Perhaps part of the trick is to know when to leave Numeric behind and
> use Pyrex.

Do you have a successful example of pyrex manipulating data which is in a
Numeric array?  Last time I tried (a while back), the performance was
catastrophic (meaning, no better than python itself for explicit loops).
These days I either use weave.inline() or hand-written extensions.  In both
cases I use Blitz++ for the arrays, so the C++ code retains much of the flavor
of the originaly python.

But I'd really like to know if pyrex has caught up to handling Numeric arrays
efficiently (including complex ones).

Thanks in advance,