Jython, GILs and object locking.

Michael Chermside mcherm at mcherm.com
Wed Oct 15 10:23:00 EDT 2003

I (Michael Chermside) wrote:
> I don't think that people ARE saying that. I think that if
> you polled, most of the python developers would say that
> the GIL is an unfortunate limitation, but one which is
> particularly difficult to remove, since so MUCH of the
> Python interpreter is written with the assumption that
> the GIL is used.

Harri replies:
> I will remove GIL from Python. I have a Python script that
> [...] but eventually we have a GIL free Python (I call it
> Viper). I don't think that removing GIL is hard, on the
> contrary. The job is trivial but tedious.

Wonderful!! Don't let my words of negativism disuade you...
this is an excellent project. Once you finish getting Viper,
to work properly, there will probably be some additional time
required to address any performance problems that might arise.
If you can get rid of the performance problems, then I'd
guess you have an excellent chance of just getting your changes
adopted into the main branch of Python! Of course, that assumes
that you've first demonstrated that it works, and that it
doesn't make performance substantially worse for those with
just one processor. So there IS work to be done, but if you
can handle it, than all power to you, and THANKS!

-- Michael Chermside