New to COM (Excel). Need a little help.

Bob Gailer bgailer at
Fri Oct 3 19:13:32 CEST 2003

At 10:18 AM 10/3/2003, Marc wrote:

>Hi all,
>I am trying to write an application where I need the ability to open
>an Excel spreadsheet and do basic read/write, insert rows, and
>hide/unhide rows. Using win32com I have been able to get the basics
>down as well as some examples displaying how to simply read and write.
>But the next step appears exponential. I haven never done anything in
>VB, so any and all concepts and commands are completely foreign. I
>have been digging through the VB help and also bought a book
>specifically for Python and COM. But I don't really have time to learn
>VB before I can finish my script.
>Would there happen to be any pre-existing examples of the stuff I need
>to do out there? Basically I need to do the things I listed above -
>insert rows and columns and hide/unhide rows. I think with a few
>examples of sheet manipulation I could figure out the rest.

The Range object handles all of the above. I recommend examining the
various properties and methods of Range. One easy way to do this is
1 open the Excel VBA Window
2 press F2 to get the Object Browser
3 scroll the classes pane to Range then look at members insert, delete and
4 Press F1 on any of these to see the help file and helpful examples.

Also look at Worksheet Classes Rows and Columns properties for Range
objects that span entire rows / columns

Assuming you have created a worksheet object (let's call it ws)

Reading & Writing (a review):
 >>> rng = ws.Range("a1:b2")
 >>> rng.Value
((None, None), (None, None))