Newbie needs to see a large project

Steve Williams stevewilliams at wwc.com
Tue Oct 7 00:20:57 EDT 2003

John Fabiani wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I have been checking Python recently and have presented what little I know
> to mangement.  They have asked if there is any large business apps (like an
> accounting system) using python and what the performance is like.  We would
> be running on Linux with a large database (maybe postgres or mysql) of 3-5
> Gbytes.  We would be moving from a windows platform(foxpro apps) to Linux
> (python).  About 50 users total.  Thanks in advance....

I wrote a Data Warehouse Extract/Transform/Load utility for a client in
Python 1.5.2.  On a nightly basis it processes 2-3 gigabytes of data
from about 100 legacy flatfiles into a DB2 ODS and then to the Data
Warehouse.

It's been running now without incident for over 2 years.

I'm just finishing an application for vocational schools (prospects,
students, enrollments, classes, counselors, agencies, ledger cards,
courses, modules, staff, attendance, locations, calendars, reporting,
etc, etc) using Python 2.2/2.3, wxPython and Firebird 1.0/kinterbasdb.
The users seem happy with it.  It runs on Linux (Red Hat 8.0), Windows
95, Windows 98 and Windows XP.