interpreter

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Wed Oct 8 11:13:33 EDT 2003

Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> writes:

> Skip Montanaro fed this fish to the penguins on Tuesday 07 October 2003
> 04:51 am:
>
> > delete and zip up pieces of the Python tree onto multiple floppies.
> > (In fact, WinZip or other zip utilities may know about saving across
> > multiple floppies.)
> >
>         Assuming that the laptop has sufficient hard-disk space, it may not be
> neccessary to unzip/re-zip... I'm sure there are some old chunker
> utilities around that will split an existing large file into floppy
> sized chunks, and then recombine the chunks on the destination side.
> This would permit the use of the full python installer rather than
> manually recreating the directory structure.
>
>         A Google search on "file splitter" pops up a few relevant links.

Better than that

http://www.cleaton.net/ras/

quote:

RAS is a program that adds m extra files to a set of n files, such
that the contents of the n original files can be regenerated from any
n of the n+m original files and extra files. Normally, these extra
files will all be 6 bytes larger then the largest of the original
files, but ras has a mode in which the extra files are exactly the
same size as the original files. There is an upper limit of 256 on
n+m.

RAS was originally intended for transporting a large file split over
several floppy disks in a manner resilient to the corruption of a few
of the disks, and an example of a pair of shell scripts to do this
(rassplit and rasmerge) is included in the distribution.

John