GUI-based build system

Hung Jung Lu hungjunglu at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 29 17:53:40 EST 2003

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message news:<3FA008AC.B529563 at engcorp.com>...
> I have another guess, and that is that given the activity in both the
> A-A-P and Scons projects, these likely-to-exist GUI systems would be
> relatively primitive in comparison and would be unsatisfactory as a
> result.

Hmm... perhaps I should have not mentioned the expression "build
system". I have in mind something more general than the build system
for compiling and assembling a software package. I have in mind system
tasks, including hitting databases, running DTS packages. That is,
what I have in mind is not a coder's tool (which is basically an
advanced makefile system), but an enterprise system tool for task
management. In short, one level above. I have in mind tasks that are
much more complicated than just a command line, that's why I mentioned
about writing individual wrappers for every task. Of course the same
system could be used for makefile purpose, but I would like something
that's more general than makefile.

Believe it or not, similar things are not uncommon in the commercial
world. I have worked with an astronomically-priced rules engine
product before, and that was quite similar in spirit. And GUI of
course is a must, since we are not always dealing with programmers.
Anyway, all this is a common need. So I'd be surprised if there is
nothing already out there. I myself have made one smaller system like
this before, although nothing fancy and was too specific to my
environment back then.

regards,

Hung Jung