Express What, not How.

Ken Shan ken at digitas.harvard.edu
Sun Oct 19 14:37:06 EDT 2003

Raffael Cavallaro <raffael at mediaone.net> wrote in article <aeb7ff58.0310182111.6df0b5ab at posting.google.com> in comp.lang.functional:
> Ken Shan <ken at digitas.harvard.edu> wrote in message news:<bmq7mh$q75$1 at news.fas.harvard.edu>...
> > But in the style of programming that you advocate, as I understand
> > it, one does not need to give a name to function application from the
> > problem domain before using it.
> No, one doesn't, as long as that function application is the one place
> where the implementation of that bit of functionality needs to be
> expressed.

The implementation of function application is definitely something
that doesn't need to be expressed in the vast majority of programs.
Moreover, function application is used in many places, far from just
one place.  So according to you, I need to find a name for function
application, and not just any name -- it needs to be a name from the
problem domain.  But what is a name for function application from the
cash register problem domain?

--
Edit this signature at http://www.digitas.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/ken/sig
"Who needs drugs when we have sex and chocolate?" -- Cory Kerens