Python on win64

Mauro Cicognini mcicogni at siosistemi.it
Mon Oct 27 13:26:48 EST 2003

Hi to everybody,
please forgive me if what I'm asking is obvious but I couldn't really
find out any good pointers in a few hours of googling on the python site
and related places.

The question is: Does anyone have any advice on how to build Python on
win64 boxes?

We know it _is_ possible after we found Martin von Loewis's cool
installer. The only catch is, we don't know how he got there :-(

I'm asking 'cause we recently got an Itanium machine with Windows Server
2003 on it and started looking on how to port some of our stuff to it.
However, since there's no MS IDE for win64, the only way to build Python
would be to use the SDK, but that needs makefiles and those would need
to be exported from the MSVC project files, with no guarantee of success.

Besides, we'd need to have some other windows things there, and we have
few clues on how to proceed, so if anyone has any pointers we'd be very
thankful.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Mauro Cicognini
Siosistemi S.p.A., Italy