Building Python 2.3 on HP-UX 10.20 - pthread failure

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Fri Oct 3 20:18:47 EDT 2003

>>> Dan Cescato wrote
> Actually, what sets PY_PTHREAD_D4 is a combination of the existence of
> __hpux and _DECTHREADS_ (defined in cma.h).  Based on what I see in
> the PEP doc, I assume the code to support this is still in Python
> 2.3.1.  I was planning to comment out the #error that brings the show
> to a halt, and get on with life.  As far as volunteering, let me talk
> to the boss about this.  (BTW, the response I was really hoping for
> was "Just apply HP patch XXXX, and you'll be fine.  Oh well...)

It's a big patch <wink>, but the patch called "HP/UX 11.11" builds
clean, out of the box, on HP/UX. (Note, though, that if you're on
Itanium, you'll need to build without optimisation - the HP compiler
screws up the executable in a rather spectacular fashion).

I've been using HP's "test drive" systems for this - they don't appear
to have a HP/UX 10 system there, so I'm afraid I can't offer more
specific help.