Whoa! Do Python and Lisp really have LAMBDA ?

Karl A. Krueger kkrueger at example.edu
Mon Oct 27 11:02:20 EST 2003

In comp.lang.lisp Marco Antoniotti <marcoxa at cs.nyu.edu> wrote:
> Common Lisp does it right.
>
> (mapcar (lambda (f) (funcall f 1))
>    (mapcar (lambda (i)
>               (lambda (x) (+ x i)))
>       (list 1 2 3)))
>
> ... This is what the Haskell code eventually boild down to.
>
> It is Python that apparently cannot do this.  But, in all fairness,
> nowhere in Python there is a claim that lambda expressions are full fledged.

Python lambda isn't *that* limited.  It's just that the equivalent is
rather ugly by Python standards:

[f(1) for f in
    [(lambda i: lambda x: x + i)(y)
    	for y in [1, 2, 3]]]

This also works, but isn't any prettier:

map(lambda f: apply(f, (1,)),
    map(lambda i:
    	   lambda x: (x + i),

(Bleah.  All those colons and commas are giving me MPI flashbacks.)

--
Karl A. Krueger <kkrueger at example.edu>
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution