AI and cognitive psychology rant (was Re: BIG successes of Lisp...)

Stephen Horne $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ at $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.co.uk
Tue Oct 14 04:55:34 EDT 2003

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 07:45:40 GMT, Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it>
wrote:

>Personally, I first met Rev. Bayes in high school, together with the
>rest of the foundations of elementary probability theory, but then I
>did admittedly go to a particularly good high school; neither of my
>kids got decent probability theory in high school, though both of
>them met it in their first college year (in totally different fields,
>neither of them connected with "AI" -- financial economics for my
>son, telecom engineering for my daughter).

Sorry - missed this bit on the first read.

I never limited my education to what the school was willing to tell
me, partly because having Asperger syndrome myself meant that the
library was the best refuge from bullies during break times.

I figure I first encountered Bayes in the context of expert systems
when I was about 14 or 15. I imagine that fits roughly into the high
school junior category, but I'm not American so I don't know for sure.

--
Steve Horne