i18n pot file

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Oct 23 02:27:36 EDT 2003

"anabell" <anabell at sh163a.sta.net.cn> writes:

> > The best CHARSET to use is UTF-8 but of course you have to enter UTF-8
> data into the po file. You can write all languages in UTF-8.
>
> But I received this error when I tried filling 'utf-8' :
> UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode bytes in position 0-1: invalid

Then your PO file likely isn't in UTF-8. You need to find out what
encoding your computer uses. As a starting point, you would need to
tell us what operation system you use, and what "locale" you have
activated on that system

> > The ENCODING should be 8bit in all cases
>
> Is this the case with Chinese characters too?  I thought its base64?

In the literal PO file, you don't use base64, you always use "plain"
bytes - independent of the language.

Regards,
Martin