Python from Wise Guy's Viewpoint

Pascal Costanza costanza at web.de
Mon Oct 20 11:35:38 EDT 2003

Joachim Durchholz wrote:

> Multimethods, on the other hand, are indeed powerful, but they are also
> dangerous.

Life is dangerous.

> Just like GOTO - you can use it to make code better, but
> often enough it's making it worse.

How often?

> Multimethods are just a case where
> problems disguise themselves as coding errors - looking at the
> sophisticated user-definable machinery for selecting the right method
> during multimethod dispatch, it seems like these problems indeed showed
> up, and were "solved" by adding further baroqueness to the language. To
> the point that reading the source code of a function will not reveal
> what's actually happening, because some quirk in multimethod resolution
> strategy may select entirely different subfunctions than those that the
> reader would have expected.
>  From a software maintenance perspective, this is pure disaster.

Is this based on actual experience, or are you just guessing?

> In practice, most programmers aren't great, they are average. Assuming a
> halfways sane distribution, 50% of all programmers are even /below/
> average - and their services are still very much in need.
> How should they get their work done?
> Educating them isn't an option - if that were a possibility, it would
> have long been done.

No, because people are already educated under the assumption that they
are not bright. This assumption is very deeply rooted in our society,
but I don't see any evidence that it has actually improved anything. To
the contrary, it seems to me that people stay "average" _because_ they
are treated this way. IMHO it's very cynical to assume that other people
are less bright than oneself.

Did it ever occur to you that learning a language designed for experts
can make you a better programmer?

Pascal