Python vs Visual Basic

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 13 18:42:43 EDT 2003

Dave Kuhlman wrote:
>>> questions and then generate a Microsoft Word document whose
>> May I suggest an alternative?  Perhaps you might be satisfied with
>> generating a foo.rtf rather than foo.doc file.  Now, the RTF
> I've read that the latest version of MS Word (or MS Office?) heavily
> uses XML. If that's true, perahps you should consider generating
> foo.xml that follows the MS Word XML document definition (again, if

If it's OK to generate a MS Word document file that's only readable
by Windows/XP or however they call their latest version, Dave is most
probably right.  In most cases in which I've been asked to generate
Office files, compatibility to previous releases (generally back to
Office'97) was a requirement, expressed or implied (many non-techies don't
realize this requirement isn't _automatically_ satisfied...) so I tend to
assume it -- sorry, I should have made it explicit (but then so should the
OP have, so we're even:-).

Alex