Python...cross-platform...Java -- JPE?

Jarek Zgoda jzgoda at gazeta.usun.pl
Wed Oct 15 16:21:05 EDT 2003

Harry George <harry.g.george at boeing.com> pisze:

>> But if the Gtk and libSDL dlls were to one day come bundled
>> with Python (like Tcl/Tk is now), and with Psyco to provide JIT and
>> Python C extensions (being easier to deal with than JNI especially
>> with the help of SWIG) in the mix, who needs Java indeed?
>
> In theory I agree.  But in practice I (and perhaps others) live in a
> Java-dominated world.  Corporate direction is very J2EE, with all the
> XML complexification IBM nd SUN can throw at Web Services.  So I need
> Python to play well with Java and vice versa.  Jython is not the
> answer for us (we need lots of CPython extensions).

I can say the same from my perspective (multinational assurance
company). While our Python adoption in AS/400 area was relatively easy,
the PC area is dominated by Java, mostly due do gazillions of "business
presentations" that we attend each year at Oracle, IBM, BEA and so many
others, that I can not remember their names. They have funds for
marketing that no one can withstand. After a year of heavy using
Python/400 nobody objects that it iss really awesome development
platform, but theres one statement we hear after each such presentation
when we mention Python -- "nobody uses it". Not just really nobody, it
is "reletively nobody". We have some applications in Python in use, but
is pure "partisan work".

Nobody got fired for using Java.

--
Jarek Zgoda