Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme

Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 10 22:06:40 EDT 2003

Alex Martelli:
> would you kindly set right the guys (such as your
> namesake) who (on c.l.lisp with copy to my mailbox but not to here) are
> currently attacking me because, and I quote,
> """
> Software is a department of mathematics.
> """

And anyone who doesn't think mathematics has its own
culture with ideas and even mistaken preferences for what
is right and wrong should read

The Mystery of the Aleph: Mathematics, the Kabbalah, and the Human Mind

to see how Cantor's ideas of transfinite numbers (and other ideas,
as I recall, like showing there are functions which are everywhere
continuous and nowhere differentiable) were solidly rejected by
most other mathematicians of his time.

Mathematicians are people as well.

                    Andrew
                    dalke at dalkescientific.com