Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme

Joe Marshall jrm at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Oct 10 10:15:35 EDT 2003

Paul Foley <see at below.invalid> writes:

>> |Hey, we've been dead for thirty years, give us a break.
>> |The bad news for other languages is that the evolution of programming
>> |languages, like baseball, is a game played without a clock.
>
>> I would think Lisp is more like cricket:  wickets bracket both ends, no
>> one can actually understand the rules, but at least the players wear
>> white.
>
> Oh, come on!  Anyone can understand cricket!  There are two teams.
> The team that's in sits out, except for two batsmen, and the other
> team come out and try to get the men that are in out.  When a man goes
> out, he goes in and another man comes out.  When the team that's in
> are all out, except for the one who's not out, the other team goes in,
> until they're all out, too; and then a second innings is played.
> That's more or less all there is to it!

In other words, the man that's in may be out or in.  If he's in, he
can go back out, but if he's out, then he can't go back in.  Once
everyone is out, everyone goes out, then once the in team is out
again, the out team goes in again and everyone in can go out again.

Thanks for straightening that out!