Python from Wise Guy's Viewpoint

Frode Vatvedt Fjeld frodef at cs.uit.no
Mon Oct 20 10:54:04 EDT 2003

Joachim Durchholz <joachim.durchholz at web.de> writes:

> Unless you're maintaining code written by others.  I don't know
> what's the norm in the Lisp community, but I spend about 80% of my
> time reading and modifying legacy code. If a language offers a dark
> corner, I'm sure I'll hit it more often than I want. [..]

But this is just like being afraid of the dark! You have made it quite
clear that you know next to nothing about method combination, and that
you have made false assumptions about it, based on which you conclude
that there are "dark corners". There is no dark corner here. Method
combination is a feature that is relatively infrequently used, but can
sometimes provide wonderful, readable and maintainable solutions that
have no parallel in other languages that I know of. Using superficial
aspects of its syntax as a reason to disregard the language, is
downright absurd.

--
Frode Vatvedt Fjeld